1. Welcome to Dover & Folkestone Locals - Dover's & Folkestone's Online Community!
    We started up back in 2007 and our aim is still the same today as it was back then - To bring you the latest news and provide a fun, friendly and enjoyable place to chat to other local people.

Not only that, but we also list events taking place in or around Dover & Folkestone and have a classifieds section so you can list your unwanted items! So why not sign up today and join the fun along with our other 1200 members!

Signing up is free and easy and should only take a few moments. You can even use your facebook account to register!

Council Tax Bands

Discussion in 'Dover Chat' started by Dave, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Dave Chief Navigator

Ive been reading an interesting artice by Martin Lewis in realtion to council tax bands.

Now im currently in Band B - as well as the rest of the street, however after following the advice in his article it appears this may be wrong.

When I check the value of houses in the street at 1991 prices, they fall well below the 40,000 bracket that takes them into Band B. SO according to this, myself and the rest of the street should be in Band A.

Im tempted to challenge this, but there is also the risk they may increase your band if they feel the band you are in is too low.

The full article and how to check you are in the correct band can be located at the Money Saving Expert.

Has anyone else ever challenged their current band, or has anyone else checked the following artice and believe you are in the wrong band?
  2. Sid Perkins Mechanic Level 3

I have, and failed.

My house and land is the smallest of three properties, 5,7 and 9, I used for comparison. My immediate neighbour's (7) are in band E, whilst myself (5) and another neighbour (9) are in band F. Property number 9 is much larger than either mine or my immediate neighbours. The property has a larger rear garden and is 5 bedrooms compared to the 4 of numbers 5 and 7. Number 7 has a similar shape and sized house to me at number 5, butthey have a much larger garden. So, I have the smallest property yet am in the same band as the largest.

I challenged my banding via a simple phone call to the District Valuations office who were very pleasant to deal with. They don't require huge amounts of info to investigate a questioing of tax band. In other words, it was very easy to do.

Two months later I received a long reply effectively saying "two wrongs don't make a right" so my banding wasn't going to be changed and (worse still), I had no right of appeal!

So, I have the smallest property and pay the largest tax yet cannot appeal a decision that gives no logical reason for me to do so.

The system sucks and we, the ones on the end of bad decision making cannot do anything about it.
  3. hattie Nonpareil of the New Look

We were band E on our old 5-bedroomed house and the tax brought us to the brink of literal starvation. It was an inherited property and we could afford to do it up and move on at that time (and nor should we have had to!)
    I find the system very unfair simply because there are people who arent cash-rich, like ourselves who cannot afford for so much money to go on a tax based on the house we live in. Although you do get CTB which helps it can still leave you with a bill large enough to get into debt over (and court orders/wage garnishment that someone ran up in your name can cause problems for years... we have baliffs banging at our door about our housemate (2 hourses ago's) tax debt, which they attempted to force us to pay all because he gave our names to them. Insane.

I'm currently very happy to be in Band A which is 93/month here in Folkestone. My house is definately in the right band, if current price is anything to go by it must've been about 8,000 16 years ago when all this was done.
    • Dover Volunteer

rosspmm Navigator

There are really only 2 sensible alternatives to the Council Tax system,

a) a local income tax for both residents and businesses, all of which is collected and kept locally or

b) abolition of all local taxes, and increase by a similar amount in income and corporation tax which is then given back to local authorities on an equal per capita basis across the country, with an element reserved to provide additional funding for areas with special requirements etc.

The only other alternative is the totally free market approach, whereby you pay fair market rate for everything but there is no form of local tax. In other words, you pay per bag for your rubbish to be removed, you pay for schooling (some form of state assistance might be required for those legitimately on benefits), you hire books from the library etc. etc. With this approach we would have to move to a national police force funded directly by central governement, the fire brigade could be funded out of home insurance premiums (this would mean a slight increase in costs).
  4. mi2 Member

How did you check the 1991 value? Try the Nationwide House Price Index, if you haven't already done so.

Challenging the banding for the whole street will be a mighty task...
  5. Dave Chief Navigator

Sid, Are you sure you cant appeal? I found this example on the MSE website:

• Dover Volunteer

The Fabric Fairy Navigator 1st Class

We tried to appeal against the valuation on our house but it was like trying to get a brick wall to solve The Times crossword.

We bought our house in 1993 for 29,950. By a process called logic it cannot therefore have been worth 50,000 in 1991 which is what the valuation office said it was worth. My argument was then along the lines of 'If that's what it's worth, I'll take the cash now please', but the powers that be were having none of it.

I think that the valuations of property should have been carried out by independent valuers and not by the valuation office, for whom this clearly represented a conflict of interests.
  6. Dave Chief Navigator

Hmm, dosent sound to promising going by your experience.