1. Welcome to Dover & Folkestone Locals - Dover's & Folkestone's Online Community!
    We started up back in 2007 and our aim is still the same today as it was back then - To bring you the latest news and provide a fun, friendly and enjoyable place to chat to other local people.

Not only that, but we also list events taking place in or around Dover & Folkestone and have a classifieds section so you can list your unwanted items! So why not sign up today and join the fun along with our other 1200 members!

Signing up is free and easy and should only take a few moments. You can even use your facebook account to register!

Dover Engineering Works

Discussion in 'A20 Coffee Shack' started by justine, Nov 18, 2007.

• Local Celebrity

Victor Matcham Local Celebrity

Where did you get that? My dad was with the Dover Eng/works in the 1930s And I know Mr Elkington well .He had a big house in the bay , He was avery hard boss to work for,I was there at the works when he died.All my dads family came from the bay, and still have house,s there but do not live there anymore,but we still spend time out there.
    • Dover Volunteer

Doverpast Paul Boatswain Level 5

Probably an auction or collectors fair
  1. vintage Ordinary Seaman Level 1

1 people like this.
    • Local Celebrity

Thank you some much for puting them on.yes I am on some of them and know all the lads on the rest most are gone now.I also have some good photos of the works etc but do not know how to get them up on the forum.
  2. andy p VIP Passenger Level 1

[IMG]

the old peter street plaque,which for the last 21` years has been at the new dover engineering works site at holmestone road poulton close

---------- Post added at 18:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

[IMG]

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

[IMG]

---------- Post added at 18:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

[IMG]

the old colebran street plaque which also is at the engineering site
    • Local Celebrity

Just to let you all know it was my dad who made that plaque thank you for showing it,he done two or more of them my family have one,all so he done a black horse,I still have a photo of it some where it used to stand on the boss desk.
    He was a very good sand moulder better then me.
  3. andy p VIP Passenger Level 1

what year do you think it was done & which plaque please
    • Local Celebrity

It was the top one we had one indoors at westbury Rd for years and we had it painted green please do not aske me why,it was a long time ago I was at school when dad came home one night with it.My dad died in 1971 age was just 51years old
  4. andy p VIP Passenger Level 1

in reception at work theres a painting from the foundry i will take a picture of it & put it on here
    • Local Celebrity

Thank you ,please aske if anyone knows my dad or me I still have the photos of the foundry and aso all the management at that time and all the foreman with my dad in it,can you tell me if you have the black horse up there still.
  5. andy p VIP Passenger Level 1

i will do no problems
    1 people like this.
  6. andy p VIP Passenger Level 1

ive been working here 32yrs ive never herd of the black horse,nor had anybody who been there the same time as me sorry,& nobody remembered your dad we are all too young.

but i found loads of black & white photos of the works plus colebran street & brook street before they pulled it all down,give me a day or so & i will put them all on here for you

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

[IMG]

this was painted by someone who worked at the engineering works in the 1970s
    1 people like this.
    • Local Celebrity

Yes that is how we worked then,I still have the burns on my arms and legs from casting up.I was working there in the 1970s,I would like to come and have alook round what you are doing up there and show you the photos that i have or I can print them off and you can have them.Thank you again for puting them on the forum.Sorry but I do not know who done the painting.
  7. andy p VIP Passenger Level 1

[IMG]

a rear view of colebran street looking towards bridge street

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

[IMG]

the front view of colebran street

---------- Post added at 16:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

[IMG]

the engineering works about 1920 (its a guess)

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

[IMG]

same again

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

[IMG]

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:44 ----------

[IMG]
    brook street looking towards the river dour

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

[IMG]

brook street looking towards branch street

---------- Post added at 16:48 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

[IMG]

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

[IMG]

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

[IMG]

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

[IMG]

bridge street engineering works entrance 1961

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

[IMG]

the corner of bridge street branch street 1961

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

more to follow at a later date of inside the foundry
    5 people like this.
    • Local Celebrity

In that last one on the corner that was a bakery but the owner got done over his bread and the place was closed down. All the houss around the works wereb owned by the D.E.W. and some of the workers lived in them aswell as the pub.In the end they pulled most of them down to make way for a bigger factory and yard. we had about 250men working there at one time.
  8. andy p VIP Passenger Level 1

c.williamson family baker was the name vic
    1 people like this.
  9. andy p VIP Passenger Level 1

[IMG]

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------

[IMG]

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

[IMG]

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

[IMG]

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:21 ----------

[IMG]

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

more to be added when i go into the archives again at work,also i will be posting how elkington gatic (ex dover engineering works ) looks in 2009
    1 people like this.
    • Local Celebrity

They are very good the bars around the covers are the ones I was making, also the "T" BARS I ASO MADE THEM AT TIMES,THANK YOU AGAIN for showing on the forum.
  10. andy p VIP Passenger Level 1

[IMG]

---------- Post added at 18:50 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

[IMG]

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

[IMG]

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

[IMG]

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

[IMG]
    1 people like this.
    • Local Celebrity

Yes that is how we done it,it was very hard work.